What is Jannah like? We all know it’s going to be awesome in there and is specifically reserved for the believers, but how awesome is Jannah really? What does it have inside? What treasures does it hold for the believers who will be rewarded with this amazing abode for all the hard work, commitment and faith they displayed in this world?
Let’s take a quick look below!
Imagine this! You’ve just settled your account on the Day of Judgment and have been asked to cross the Siraat (the extremely thin bridge that will lead you to paradise). With every ounce of strength and courage, you manage to pass the Siraat, and are finally standing in front of Paradise – the dream you’ve always dreamt of – the destination you’ve been promised repeatedly over and over again in the Quran and Sunnah.
So who greets you first? The angels themselves!
- Allah SWT says in the Quran:“Gardens of perpetual bliss: they shall enter there, as well as the righteous among their fathers, their spouses, and their offspring. Angels shall enter from every gate (with the salutation): ‘Peace be with you, that you persevered in patience! Now how excellent is the final home!” (Quran 13:23–24).
Now that you’ve entered Jannah, the angels will lead you to your respective houses – the mansions you were promised in the Quran. But do you know how these mansions would look like?
1. Your houses will be made of gold and silver bricks!
- “Bricks of gold and silver, and mortar of fragrant musk, pebbles of pearl and sapphire, and soil of saffron, whoever enters it is filled with joy and will never feel miserable; he will live there forever and never die; their clothes will never wear out and their youth will never fade.” [Ahmad, at-Tirmidhi, ad-Daarimee, Mishkaat al-Masaabeeh, 3/29, sahih].
2. Your houses won’t just be huge, they would be massive!
So massive that your eyes wouldn’t be able to comprehend the majesty of what your Lord has reserved for you! With rivers flowing underneath, food and drinks being served and gardens as huge as that of the heavens and the earth, this would be an abode like no other!
- “Allah hath promised to Believers, men and women, gardens under which rivers flow, to dwell therein, and beautiful mansions in gardens of everlasting bliss. But the greatest bliss is the good pleasure of Allah. That is the supreme felicity” (Quran 9:72).
3. You will have thrones to recline on, while enjoying the company of your loved ones under grooves of cool shade!
- “They will recline (with ease) on Thrones (of dignity) arranged in ranks…” (Quran 52:20).
- “They and their associates will be in groves of (cool) shade, reclining on Thrones (of dignity). Every fruit (enjoyment) will be there for them; they shall have whatever they call for” (Quran 36:56–57).
- “In a lofty Paradise, where they shall neither hear harmful speech nor falsehood. Therein will be a running spring. Therein will be thrones raised high, and cups set at hand. And cushions set in rows, and rich carpets (all) spread out” (Quran 88:10–16).
4. The clothes
So what will you wear in Jannah?
- Garments of fine silk and jewelery made of pearls and gold!
Allah says in the Quran:
- “And their recompense will be Paradise, and silken garments, because they were patient.”[ Quran 76:12]
- “…wherein they will be adorned with bracelets of gold and pearls, and their garments will be of silk.” [Quran 22:23]
- “..They will be adorned therein with bracelets of gold, and they will wear green garments of fine silk and heavy brocade. They will recline therein on raised thrones. How good the recompense! How beautiful a couch to recline on.” [Quran 18:31]
- “Their garments will be of fine green silk, and gold embroidery. They will be adorned with bracelets of silver..” [Quran 76:21]
5. The Food and Drink
You will be given food and drinks that your heart desires, but every single time you take a bite, the food will taste better than the previous bite! Imagine having a table spread with your favorite dishes and you having the luxury to eat them without having to worry about extra calories or household chores!
You will also be granted rivers of milk, honey, water and wine whose taste and form will be beyond comprehension.
- “Therein you shall have (all) that your inner selves desire, and therein you shall have all for which you ask. An entertainment from Allah, the Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful” (Quran 41:31–32).
- “…Every time they are fed with fruits there from, they say: ‘Why, this is what we were fed before,’ for they are given things in similitude…” (Quran 2:25).
- “Eat and drink at ease for that which you have sent forth (good deeds) in days past!” (Quran 69:24).
- “…rivers of water incorruptible; rivers of milk of which the taste never changes…” (Quran 47:15).
THE JAW DROPPING MOMENT
Imagine getting everything you ever wanted and desired in Jannah, and then, Allah comes up to you and asks what else do you want?! Since you are completely pleased and ecstatic with the bounties that Jannah has offered, you ask Allah for one final gift- the Gift of seeing His face! Allah will grant you this jaw dropping moment!
- “…Then the Owner of Majesty and Honor will appear and say: ‘Ask of Me.’ They will say: ‘We ask for Your good pleasure, O Lord.’ He will say: ‘It is because I am pleased with you that you are in My Paradise, and you are honored.’ Then He will say (again): ‘Ask of Me.’ They will say all together: ‘We ask for Your good pleasure.’ He will ask them to testify that He is pleased with them. Then He will say (once more): ‘Ask of Me,’ and they will ask of Him until each one of them is finished. Then He will grant them that which no eye has seen, no ear has heard, and it has not crossed the mind of any human.” (At Tabaraani)
- It was also narrated by Ibn Abi’d-Dunya in Sifat al-Jannah (88) via another Isnaad; he added: “… there is nothing that they are more eager for than Friday; the more they gaze more upon their Lord, the more they will increase in honor.”